Now that Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is just around the corner, it is evident that Midland is excited for the holiday due to the increased shopping and the plentiful decorations. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year, and there are seven special elements that stand out from the rest.
7) Presents – With the holidays comes the inevitable joy of presents, both giving and receiving. People love receiving gifts, let’s be honest. Who doesn’t? There’s nothing more exciting than opening a gift which signifies love from somebody. But people also absolutely love the feeling of giving a gift. Seeing the look of happiness and excitement when they open it honestly makes the giver just as happy. Showing appreciation for everyone is always good, and it’s good to let others know that they are loved.
6) Christmas lights – As soon as Thanksgiving is over, Midland’s excitement increases, and with that comes Christmas lights. The bright colors are evident all over Midland and it is a heartwarming sight. The fact that people have spent the time to make their houses look festive and welcoming is nice to see.
5) Snow – There is nothing more satisfying than waking up to see snow piled up on tree branches and covering the ground. Seeing the freshly covered ground makes everything seem refreshed and new, and it makes a brand new day seem magical.
4) Seasonal drinks – Peppermint Mochas and Gingerbread Lattes from Starbucks. That’s all that there is to say on this one.
3) Food – When siblings come home, parents tend to go to the next level with dinners. On Christmas Day there’s mashed potatoes, stuffing, ham, and other absolutely delicious things. It’s safe to say that we all gain a few pounds over the break.
2) Snow days – School is pretty exhausting, and by the time winter rolls around, everyone is so tired of the daily routine of waking up, going to school, doing homework, and sleeping. Therefore, there’s nothing better than waking up and realizing that the snow has covered the roads enough that means that school has been cancelled. That feeling of waking up and then being able to go right back to sleep is one that is hard to beat.
1) Family time – With school, extracurricular activities, and siblings away at college, it’s difficult throughout the year to find the time where everyone is free just to hang out and enjoy the time together. But the holiday break is a perfect excuse to go and hang out with mom and dad without sounding lame.